Sunday, July 3, 2011

Did your family live in or pass through Antwerp, Belgium?

I'm looking for people whose relatives lived in Antwerp by the 1920s. Antwerp, as one of the largest port cities in Europe, was host to many people who left their homes in other parts of Europe and made their way to Belgium, sometimes permanently and sometimes just briefly on their way elsewhere, such as to the US.

I wrote an article back in November on researching Jewish relatives that passed through Belgium, but it is now woefully out of date due to changes at the web site of the Felix Archives in Antwerp. As part of updating that article (which is the basis of a lecture I'll be giving in August – more on that later) I'd like to find a few people with families who lived in Belgium so I can help them find records, and at the same time update my knowledge of the archives.

If your family lived in Antwerp in the 19th century up through the 1920s, please send me an e-mail with the following information:

- Name of family member(s) that lived in Antwerp
- Where they lived before Antwerp (and where they were born if different)
- When they arrived in Antwerp
- When they left Antwerp

Also, let me know if you've ever researched your family members in the Felix Archives in Antwerp or the State Archives in Brussels, and if there are other archival resources in Belgium you've used to find out about your family there.

Thank you.