Sunday, September 16, 2012

Friends from Antwerp - and is that a famous Yiddish poet?

My grandfather was born in Vienna, Austria during World War I. His family had fled their homes in Galicia, then a region of Austria, and fled to the capital city to avoid the invading Russian army. His brothers, one born before him in 1911, and one after him in 1921, were both born in the Galician town of Rzeszow, known in Yiddish as Reisha.

In 1927 the family moved to Antwerp, Belgium, seeking a better life and perhaps more stable situation. As I've written about before, Antwerp and Belgium in general received many many Jewish immigrants during the interwar years, among them my family (my grandfather's future wife also made her way around the same time to Antwerp from Rzeszow).

In 1927 my grandfather was of course 12 years old, and he lived in Antwerp until 1940, when he was 25. Those were, no doubt, formative years for him. I know many stories about his time there, and have found documents hinting at others in the Police des Étrangers files I've found. I know just a couple of years after he arrived, after his father died, he ran a watch shop near the docks of the Antwerp port, helping support his family even though he was only 14 at the time. I know he used his US citizenship to travel to Nazi Germany in the 1930s and helped younger cousins get out of the country, as the Germans still respected a US passport (they probably hoped the US would side with them in the upcoming war). One thing I don't really know about, however, is what kind of social life he had. Some years ago he told me he bumped into an elementary school classmate of his from Belgium in New York, and he had recognized my grandfather even all those years later. He later sent my grandfather a class photo showing both of them. When researching family we sometimes forget that our relatives spent much of their time, especially when they were teenagers and young adults, with their friends instead of their family. It's part of what defined them and made them who they were.

In this light, some recent photographs I discovered at my grandfather's apartment are particularly interesting. I have no idea who anyone in the photos are other than my grandfather. If you had relatives born during WWI and who lived in Antwerp in the 1930s, perhaps they're among the people in these photos.

My grandfather is sitting on the bottom right

My grandfather in the middle with the white shirt

My grandfather isn't in this photo, but it was together with the others

My grandfather is on the right. The man on the left was his best friend.

Is this Baden in Germany? or is that booth to buy a ticket? My grandfather in on the left.

My grandfather sitting in the front
Know anyone in these photos?

Concerning the last photo, it raises an interesting question. Do you you think the man on the top right looks like Itzik Manger, the famous Yiddish poet? Here's a side by side, showing a close-up of the above person, and a photo of Itzik Manger from the YIVO Encyclopedia:

Right, Itzik Manger. Left, Maybe Manger?
I'm not an expert on Yiddish poets, and would never have thought of it, except in researching a distant cousin Golda I discovered she had once been married to (and divorced from) this famous poet from Romania. I never knew if this cousin even knew my grandfather, but if this Itzik Manger, perhaps this is evidence. Therefore is it possible that the woman he's got his arm on is Golda, my grandfather's cousin? or one of the other women in the photo? Here's a picture of Golda:

Golda, my grandfather's second cousin once-removed
So what do you think? Is that Itzik Manger? Is that my grandfather's cousin with him on the beach, possibly in Knokke, a favorite vacation spot? The picture of Golda is obviously of an older woman than in the photo on the beach, but that makes sense sine the photo of Golda was taken in 1939, when she was 35 (she was born in 1904). In the beach photo my grandfather looks like a teenager, so it could have been 1930 or shortly thereafter.

Itzik Manger survived the war and eventually moved to Israel. My grandfather's cousin, however, likely died during the war, although I've found no direct evidence of that. All I know is she shows up in the first register of Jews in Belgium in 1940 after the Germans invaded, but not in the later registration done in 1942. She doesn't show up in deportation lists, which recorded all those deported from Belgium to Auschwitz, so she either escaped Belgium or was killed. If she escaped, perhaps she changed her name and the trail was lost, or perhaps she escaped from Belgium only to be killed later in the war – certainly a possibility.

8 comments:

  1. What a fascinating possibility that you're more deeply connected to Itzak Manger than you thought! If you don't get any conclusive comments from your readers, I would contact the National Yiddish Book Center or YIVO, though you may have already done that.

    FWIW, *I* think the men look the same!

    Good luck and shana tovah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fascinating post for many reasons, but I'm particularly interested in the topic because my father and my uncle Richard spent time in what I always thought was a detention camp in Belgium after leaving Vienna in 1939 and arriving in New York the following year. My father got a visa; his brother Richard was sent to a concentration camp. My father never talked about it -- I suppose because of what happened to his brother -- but I have pictures of him looking happy there. I've always wondered: Were they assigned numbers, like with the draft, so that some were saved and some condemned?

    Do you have any information about where in Belgium displaced Jews might have been held during World War II?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edie, there is a lot of information available on Jews who resided in Belgium. That was in fact the topic of my lecture last year at the IAJGS International Jewish Genealogy Conference in DC.

      I would recommend that your first point of contact be Dorien Styven at the Kazerne Dossin documentation center. I give a brief outline of Belgian resources, including contact information for Dorien on my Belgium page (there's a link at the top of this page or you can just go to http://www.bloodandfrogs.com/p/belgium.html).

      In short, Jews who remained in Belgium past the German invasion in 1940, were registered in 1940 and again in 1942, before being deported to Auschwitz from the Kazerne Dossin transit center in the city of Mechelen. If your uncle was recorded in either the 1940 or 1942 registration, or was deported among the roughly 25,000 Jews that were deported from there, then the documentation center will have the records.

      In addition, depending on how long your father and uncle were in Belgium, it's likely there are records on them in the Belgian Police des Étrangers files, including photographs. There is also information on those files on my Belgium page, although it's possible that the records may not yet be available since they would only have been opened in 1939, and I don't know exactly what the cut off is for accessing those records. I suspect you will be able to access them, but you need to contact them to find out. There is a cost for getting copies made of records. If you have any trouble reaching the archive in Brussels, let me know and I can try to help. For your uncle, if he was deported, it's possible that the documentation center has a copy of his Police des Étrangers file, as they started a project to digitize the records of those deported, but as far as I know the project isn't yet completed, so they may not have it yet. In any case, if there is a file on your father, they wouldn't have it.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Philip. As you know, I'm primarily researching my mother's family history but I saw this post and followed your links, including the one to your talk at the conference, which sounded very impressive. I'll keep this information on file for future reference when I take a break from Freud (if one can ever take a break from Freud).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would still recommend e-mailing Dorien, as it only takes a few minutes and it doesn't cost anything to get the information.

      Delete
  4. It is very likely that a man in the picture is Itzik Manger. Here is a photo taken from a similar angle and at about the same time: http://ehpes.com/blog1/2010/11/19/the-third-man-enigma/

    Of course, it would be easier to compare if you had a higher resolution scan of the photograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iosif,

      Thank you for the additional photograph. Unfortunately, scanning in higher resolution won't help much as the original print itself is a bit blurry. For the record, I do indeed think that is Itzik Manger on the beach with my grandfather.

      Philip

      Delete